World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Peter of Montereau

Article Id: WHEBN0021118151
Reproduction Date:

Title: Peter of Montereau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1266, Notre Dame de Paris, Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Peter of Montereau

Pierre de Montereau or Pierre de Montreuil (c.1200 - March 17, 1266, Paris) was a French architect. He is widely recognized as one of the most important proponents of Gothic architecture, though little is known of his life and sources vary as to which buildings are by him.

After some time training in Champagne, he worked on the Basilique Saint-Denis until around 1231. His talent was noticed and he was summoned around 1239 by the monks of the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés to Paris to build them a new refectory. Between 1246 and 1248 he built his masterpiece, the Sainte-Chapelle, for Louis IX. Situated on the Île de la Cité, it represents a model of Gothic art, filled with openings and windows and reducing the walls to a minimum. He also built a Sainte-Chapelle at the Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye, the initial home of the relics meant for the Paris Sainte-Chapelle. Around 1250, he built the single-nave Sainte-Chapelle de Notre-Dame in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés. Also attributed to him, around 1260, is the modification of the transept arms of Notre Dame de Paris, as well as the chapel at the Château de Vincennes and the refectory of the Priory of Saint-Martin-des-Champs in Paris (today the library of the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers).

He was buried with his wife in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, in the chapel he had built. His epitaph was engraved on the tomb and gave his title as "doctor lathomorum" ("teacher of masons"[1] or "Doctor of Masons"[2] ). This chapel and the refectory of Saint-Germain-des-Prés were demolished in 1794.

The three chapels

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.