World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Princes of Conti

Article Id: WHEBN0000658339
Reproduction Date:

Title: Princes of Conti  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Louis Armand II, Prince of Conti, Prince du sang, Princes of Condé, House of Bourbon, François Louis, Prince of Conti
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Princes of Conti


Coat of arms of the Princes of Conti

The title of Prince of Conti (French: prince de Conti) was a French noble title, assumed by a cadet branch of the princely house of Bourbon-Condé. The title derives its name from Conty, a small town in northern France, c. 35 km southwest of Amiens, which came into the Bourbon-Condé family by the marriage of Louis de Bourbon, first Prince of Condé, with Eleanor de Roye in 1551.

François de Bourbon (1558–1614), the third son of this marriage, was given the title of marquis de Conti and was later elevated to the rank of prince de Conti. He died in 1614 and the title lapsed, since his only child had predeceased him in 1610.

In 1629, the title of Prince of Conti was revived in favor of Armand de Bourbon (1629–1666), second son of Henry II, Prince of Condé, and brother of Louis, the Grand Condé. During the time that the House of Bourbon ruled France, from the reign of King Henry IV of France to the reign of King Louis-Philippe of the French, the Princes of Conti were considered to be princes du sang in the Kingdom of France. The holders of this title used the style of Serene Highness.

Contents

  • See also 1
  • Marquess and Princes of Conti 2
  • Family tree 3
  • References 4

See also

Marquess and Princes of Conti

At his death, the title was not passed on, because of the lack of direct descendants. The title was bestowed in 1629 upon:

At his death, the title was not passed on, because of the lack of legitimate descendants.

Family tree

References

  • Public Domain This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.